Periodontal disease is a serious infection under your gumline.
ARESTIN® (minocycline hydrochloride) is an antibiotic that kills the bacteria that cause the infection.
- It’s placed directly in the infected areas—or “pockets”—in your gums.
- It’s applied right after scaling and root planing, the dental procedure that disrupts stubborn plaque and bacteria below your gum line—where brushing and flossing can’t reach.
ARESTIN® starts working quickly, right at the source of infection, and keeps fighting bacteria long after you leave the dental office. 1,2
ARESTIN® fights infection and inflammation for 30 days,2 and provides significantly better results than scaling and root planning alone for up to 90 days.3
Dr. Hyde, Dr. Greising and Dr. Tzanos may, in specific situations, recommend the use of Arestin as a conservative, non-surgical approach to address your periodontal needs.
1. Oringer RJ, Al-Shammari KF, Aldredge WA, et al. Effect of locally administered minocycline microspheres on markers of bone resorption. J Periodontol 2002;73:835-842.
2. Goodson JM, Gunsollwy JC, Grossi SG, et al. Minocycline HCl microspheres reduce red-complex bacteria in periodontal disease therapy. J Periodontol 2007;78(8):1568-1579.
3. Williams RC, Paquette DW, Offenbacher S, et al. Treatment of periodontitis by local administration of minocycline microspheres: a controlled trial. J Periodontol 2001;72:1535-1544.